Mixed Company Theatre has been producing innovative, socially-relevant theatre as a tool for positive change since 1983. Founded as an artist-run collective, today this nationally recognized not-for-profit is known for their commitment to inspiring communities across Canada to create social change through the theatrical practice of Forum Theatre.
A UNESCO recognized educational tool for implementing social change, Forum Theatre is a community-focused, facilitated style of theatre designed to address social issues and inspire action for change. In Forum Theatre productions, professional artists and community members together create a universal story depicting a social issue of concern to the participating community. The community audience is then invited onto the stage to enact “an intervention” where they can either replace a character or suggest a change to the story for the better. Forum Theatre give communities the agency to develop their own grassroots solutions and the ability to envision the positive outcomes of creating social change.
Job Title: Program Communications – Summer Intern
Reports to: General Manager
Hours/Rate: $16/hour and 30 hours / week + applicable employment benefits
Application Deadline: May 28, 2019
Job Period: June 2019 to August 2019 (8 weeks)
Notes: Possibility of Contract Extension
MCT is seeking a Program Communications Intern to support the promotion efforts of Mixed Company Theatre’s Artistic Programming. Reporting to MCT’s General Manager and coordination with MCT’s Artistic Director, the Program Communications Intern will help develop MCT’s community partnerships, effectively build and maintain MCT’s social media platforms, and support design, creation, and execution of all communications tasks.
- Graduate Degree in Communications, Marketing, Arts Administration, Theatre or related programs
Skill Set and Other Requirements
- Age below 30 (as required by Canada Summer Jobs)
- Experience in the theatre and/or performing arts sector (preferred)
- Excellent Communication Skills (Written and Verbal)
- Exceptional Relationship Building skills
- Proficient in the MS Office Suite of Products (Word and PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of important social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube
- Working knowledge of WordPress (for website content development)
- Working knowledge of Mailchimp, Canva
- Working knowledge of the Google product suite
- Working knowledge of Internet research techniques
- Experience working with Databases
- Assist the General Manager in executing the Communications Plan
- Assist the communications team in executing all activities, follow the suggested task schedule and gather resources required for successful execution of the strategy
- Create and maintain an up-to-date detailed contacts database
- Promote our programming through phone and email to partner organizations and individual supporters/donors
- Finalize and document bookings for projects
- Seek and engage new community / educational partners and audiences
- Create and post social media updates on Facebook, Twitter and other portals
- Create and post content on MCT websites and newsletters
- Achieve optimum/target community participation in MCT’s programs and projects and bring in audience members to our public performances and readings
- Develop content and design for marketing materials – flyers, pamphlets, and theatre programs
- Update and maintain content of MCT’s YouTube channel and other online media
- Coordinate with other interns / volunteers assisting in outreach activities
- Attend rehearsals / projects as required for communications related activities including photography and/or coordination with videographer
- Attend weekly team meeting to share updates on current communications deliverables and planned activities for upcoming projects
- Execute additional administrative or creative tasks as determined in consultation with the General Manager and the Artistic Director.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 28 2019
Thank you to all those who apply. Only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.